Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Niki's Easy Barbecue Ribs


This recipe is from Niki at Rural Writings.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. Pork Ribs, well trimmed of fat, and cut into 3-4 rib sections
2 Tbsp. Butter or oil
1 medium Onion chopped
3/4 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Vinegar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2/3 cup water
Franks Red Hot Sauce to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Parboil the ribs by placing them in a roasting pan and add enough water to mostly cover the ribs. Cover the roasting pan and cook for two hours. This is the most important step in assuring great ribs, makes them tender and juicy. At the end of the 2 hours drain off the liquid and fat.

Now, melt the butter in a frying pan and saute onions until tender. Add remaining ingredients, season to taste and simmer for 15 minutes. Add to the ribs and bake one more hour, uncovered.

If BBQing instead of finishing in oven, after parboiling and draining the ribs put ribs on a medium-low grill, brushing the bbq sauce on and cooking for a further 1/2 hour or so, turning and brushing often.

And I usually at least double this recipe!


My notes:  I did all the cooking of the ribs outside on the grill.  I placed ribs in a foil-lined roasting pan, added water, and covered tightly with foil.  I placed the roasting pan on the grill at a low heat.  After about 2 hours, I removed the pan from grill.  When I took off the foil, the liquid had cooked away, but if there had been any left, I would have discarded it.  I decided that I didn't want to finish the ribs directly on the grill, since the sauce would necessitate extra grill cleaning, so I kept the ribs in the roasting pan, and poured the sauce over.  I covered tightly with foil again, and then put the pan back on the grill.  I used metal tongs to prop open the grill lid a little to try to keep the temp low so the sugar in the sauce wouldn't burn.

While the ribs with sauce were back on the grill, I put some ears of corn on there too.  I left the ears in the husks, and put them straight on the grill rack.  After about 15 minutes, I turned the ears and cooked for another 15 minutes or so.




No comments: