Sunday, September 28, 2014

Debbie McG's Carrot Cake



Mmmmm...  Made from scratch, moist, and hey, it has 3 cups of shredded carrots, so I think each piece counts as a vegetable serving.  :)

Debbie McG’s Carrot Cake                                                                         
Mix:
2 c sugar
1 ½ c oil
4 eggs

Sift together:
2 c flour
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves

Blend these mixtures together well, then add:
1 tsp vanilla
3 c shredded carrot
1 c raisins
1 c pecans (broken)

Grease and flour 13" x 9" pan.  Bake at 350º for 50 to 60 minutes.  Cool before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Soften then blend:
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1/4 c butter

Add and mix well:
dash of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar (sifted)

My notes:  Certain family members are not fans of raisins, so they were omitted without any complaints...the raisins, not the family members.  :)

I was in a time crunch, so instead of grating the carrots, I just put baby carrots in my food processor and pulsed/chopped till they were the consistency I wanted.  I didn't even bother with the grating blade...chopper was so much easier and worked great.  Oh, and I didn't sift the powdered sugar either, and it was perfect anyway.

No comments: