Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Crowing Hen...


I'm calling this Crowing Hen.  It's basically an open-face chicken salad sandwich which is broiled until brown and bubbly.  I made it for a quick supper.  I think it would also be good for a ladies' lunch, a pot luck, etc.

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 c butter, softened or melted
1/4 c mayonnaise
1/8 c sliced scallions, including both bulb and green stems
1/8 c shredded parmesan
1/8 c shredded cheddar
1/2 tsp powdered garlic
2.25 oz can sliced ripe olives

French bread sliced about an inch thick

Directions:
Mix first 8 ingredients together.  Spread thickly on French bread slices.  Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese, and bake for about 15 minutes or till heated through.  Then turn oven to broil, and watch closely till just browned.

I used a large loaf, so this amount made about two very large slices.  If you use a baguette, then it would make quite a few slices, but be sure to make them thick slices (about an inch) to support a thick layer of filling (these might not need to bake quite as long).


This is based on a yummy bread that I had about twenty years ago at a church gathering, and is similar to The Pioneer Woman's Olive Cheese Bread.  I wanted to make a supper of it, so I thought I would add the cooked chicken.  





No comments: