Thursday, February 25, 2016

Roast with Drop Dumplings...

Roast (with horseradish), Dumplings, Green Beans

Ingredients:
2 to 3 pound boneless roast
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix
1 cup water

1 to 2 envelopes of brown gravy mix
water as called for on gravy mix pkg


Ingredients for dumplings:
2 c all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons snipped parsley (opt)
2 beaten egg
½  cup milk
4 Tablespoons cooking oil


Directions:
Sear roast on all sides.  Place in slow cooker.  Sprinkle the Lipton Onion Soup over. the roast.  Add water to slow cooker.  Cook on Low for 8 hours, or High for 4 hours.  (Roast can also be roasted in oven, covered and tightly sealed, at 300 for two to three hours.

When done, remove roast to platter.

Place pan drippings from slow cooker or roaster into a large saucepan (or if you have a slow cooker with stove top setting capabilities leave in slow cooker insert).  Add envelope(s) of brown gravy and water, and whisk until smooth.  Cover and heat to simmer over medium low heat while you make dumpling dough.


Directions for Dumplings:  Combine flourbaking  powder, and salt; stir in parsley.  Combine egg, milk, and oil.  Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork only till combined.  Drop dough by the tablespoon into simmering roast gravy.  Cover tightly.  Reduce heat, do not lift cover.  Simmer 12 to 15 minutes.   Serve.

These are 'drop' dumplings, not the rolled variety.  I'm not a fan of the rolled variety, too heavy for my liking.  I took the photo below of a dumpling I cut in half to show you how it is cooked and fluffy all the way through.
 I have never had this dumpling recipe fail...dumplings turn out light and fluffy every time.

5/30/17: Slightly alternate version.  Before work I seared roast in my Ninja slow cooker.  Added a bag of baby carrots, and 1 can of Campbell's condensed French onion soup, plus 1/4 to 1/2 cup water and cooked on low for about 11 hours.   After cooking time, I removed roast and added another can of Campbell's condensed French onion soup, and a soup can of water.  I switched from 'low' slow-cooker setting to 'medium' stove-top setting to bring liquid in pot to a low boil while I made dumpling dough.  I dropped dumplings into the broth, covered with lid, and let simmer for 15 minutes.  

1 comment:

Faith Warmheart said...

I've never had dumplings like that...YUM! I'm definitely gonna have to try them...